Sunday, September 19, 2010

Assignment #2: Impact

      As our impact grows greater, and we begin to realize that we have caused some real problems for ourselves, the issue of our impact has also grown in the media.  While it seems as though many of us attempt to make an impact for the better, I question if our efforts are created by ourselves or by the media.  "Going Green" is surely a familiar slogan to many of us, and although it has a positive message behind it, I feel that many of us, including myself, fall into the place of doing "green things" because it's the cool thing to do.  When we go to buy our all-organic, locally grown produce at the grocery store for example, do we stop by Starbucks on the way in our gas guzzling cars?  The film, No Impact Man, made me consider ideas such as this.
     We may all have good intentions, however, it seems that we may sometimes not see the whole picture.  In addition to that, the concept of living green may be overwhelming.  In my mind, it can be very difficult to separate "needs" versus "wants," which was addressed in the film.  In one scene, the wife, Michelle, makes it clear to her husband, Colin that she needs coffee to get through a project at work.  I found myself completely understanding where she was coming from.  As Americans, we live a fast-paced lifestyle, often find ourselves exhausted, and need something quick, as we never seem to have enough time.  However, watching this average New York Family, made me realize that there are things that I can do to have less impact on the world, and that it just requires some effort.
     There are simple things that we can do to make changes.  I thought that the most touching, and probably true thing that Colin said during the film was the effort that would have the largest impact, is getting involved with one's community, and joining an organization.  I find, personally, that I don't feel connected to a community so much.  As Colin noted, that when this happens, losing touch with one's community, we feel that it is okay to let things go because we don't feel a responsibility towards others.  I really loved this film, and I think that it would be great for anyone, and everyone to see.  The subjects did not push their views on to others, and understood that not everyone can do, or wants to do everything that his family attempted.  However, at the same time, I believe that they demonstrated to the audience that we all have a huge impact on our world.  There are some things that we can change in our lives, and everyone really makes a difference in what they choose to do or not do.

No comments:

Post a Comment